Maths at Dorothy Barley Junior Academy is informed by the philosophy and pedagogy of the White Rose Maths Hub. The White Rose approach to Maths has been influenced, inspired and informed by the work of leading maths researchers and practitioners across the world.
The aim is to develop a whole new culture of deep understanding, confidence and competence in maths –a culture that produces strong, secure learning and real progress. We also allocate additional gap filling sessions, additional work on timestables and provide cross-curricular links where possible.
– We ensure that we deliver a high quality maths curriculum that is both challenging and
– We want children to make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency,
mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.
– We intend for our pupils to be able to apply their mathematical knowledge to all other
– We want them to know that maths is essential to everyday life and that our children are
confident mathematicians who are not afraid to take risks.
– Fully develop independent learners with inquisitive minds who have secure mathematical
foundations and an interest in self-improvement.
Mathletics is used to support home-learning. The White Rose One Minute Maths app can be used to support timestables learning and is free to download.
Maths Overviews by Year Group:
Maths Calculation Policy:
DBJA Times Tables Policy:
Maths Vocabulary Booklet:
INFORMATION ABOUT THE YEAR 4 MULTIPLICATION TABLES TEST 2023:
Will be published when available.
We promote the use of manipulatives in Maths as a way of creating a solid foundation of Mathematical understanding.